Benefits of Infrared Thermal Imaging (ITI)
Predictive Maintenance Programs
Traditional maintenance methods may leave major problems undetected until major operating failures occur. Infrared testing is an invaluable tool for identifying conditions that can result in fire, electrical failure, or other catastrophic problems. These problems will cause extensive damage, interrupt critical business activities, and lead to financial losses.
Any electrical or mechanical equipment generates heat during normal operations. Cooling mechanisms are installed to help the heat be released safely. Problems develop when electro-mechanical components generate excessive heat, which can happen as a result of corrosion, loose connections, or electrical overload. Capital Infrared specializes in identifying any abnormal thermal increases for electrical and mechanical equipment, before any damage or loss occurs, saving money and preventing equipment damage or failure.
Typical Maintenance Methods
- Run-to-Failure Approach: A reactive approach, which involves letting a system run until equipment failure. This results in maximum cost for repair or replacement. Maximum Cost!
- Preventive Maintenance (PM): Maintenance repairs performed on a regular schedule to minimize component degradation and extend the life of equipment. Preventive maintenance takes place after a set amount of elapsed calendar time or machine run time, regardless of whether the repair is necessary. While more cost-effective than reactive maintenance, preventive maintenance still requires substantial human resources and replacement parts inventories. Significant Savings!
- Predictive Maintenance (PdM): Predictive Maintenance (PdM) involves tracking key indicators over time to predict when equipment needs repair. Predictive maintenance programs measure equipment on a regular basis, track the measurements over time, and take corrective action when measurements are about to go outside the equipment operating limits. Maximum Savings!
Benefits of PdM Program
Studies have shown that 30-50% of maintenance expenditures are wasted costs for many facilities and can be eliminated through effective use of preventive maintenance, including predictive technologies, Based on historical data in the US, the initial savings generated by effective preventive/predictive maintenance programs fall into the following areas:
- Elimination of unscheduled downtime (40% to 60% reduction in first two years)
- Increased manpower utilization
- Increased capacity
- Reduction of maintenance expenditures
- Increased useful life
Identify Problems Before They Become Disasters
Recommended by ANSI/NFPA 70B Electrical Equipment Maintenance Standard and most insurance companies, annual infrared surveys can identify potential problems before an accident or failure occurs, avoiding costly unscheduled downtime and business interruption.
When included as part of a planned maintenance program from Capital Infrared, infrared technology allows you to identify and deal with emerging problems early enough for maintenance to be performed, reducing emergency repair and maintenance costs, improving overall system reliability and extending the life of equipment.
The Bottom Line
Infrared testing is a vital component of a complete service program: Infrared Thermal Imaging (ITI) enables planned maintenance instead of emergency repairs. Because infrared testing is non-contact, it can be completed while equipment is fully functional, avoiding costly disruption of operations.
Extend Equipment Life and Avoid Costly Repairs: Early diagnosis and repair can eliminate potentially catastrophic losses due to equipment failures due to electrical fires or other serious problems. Using Predictive Maintenance (PdM) extends equipment life significantly, maximizing profits, protecting investments, and minimizing repair and replacement costs.
Promote a Safe Workplace: Personnel are not exposed to dangerous or faulty equipment and risk of personal injury is lessened.